In an effort to highlight activities, resources and conversations taking place around the current movement for Black lives and anti-racism, MENA Film Festival hopes the following links will help some of our family in the Middle Eastern and North African diaspora orient themselves around the important discussions happening in this very tense moment.
While we can't always be on the frontlines, we can honour those putting their futures and bodies on the line by educating ourselves and gain a wider perspective of the struggles for basic human rights happening in our geographic neighbourhood.
Social media accounts
- Black Lives Matter Vancouver for up-to-date listing of events of BLM solidarity events happening in Vancouver, BC.
- Black Lives Matter Toronto for the national ally network based in Toronto.
- Rana for nodes of activism and dialogue in the pan-Arabic community in both Arabic and English.
- Yassmin Abdel-Magied – information and commentary from writer, activist and public figure from her perspective as a Sudanese expatriate in the UK.
- ljeoma Oluo author of So You Want To Talk About Race.
- A comprehensive list of organizations directly related to BLM accepting donations, as well as other readings and petitions approved by BLM.
- Ways to donate directly to BLM victims, protestors and allied businesses among others.
- Call to action for reducing and defunding the Vancouver Police Department's 2020 opetating budget in defence of black and indigenous bodies that have at the hands of local polce forces fo decades.
- Petitions directly related to BLM victims, protests and organizations (police departments etc.) perpetuating oppression.
Films, writing and other media
- Vox article on unlearning anti-black racism in North American immigrant and diaspora communities
- The Government of British Columbia is holding a special COVID-19 virtual townhall on anti-racism in BC on Friday, June 12 at 3pm PST.
- The Movement For Black Lives has up-to-date information on events and virtual workshops with guest academics and activists.
- Indiewire list of 10 Films to Watch in Support of Black Liberation
- BC Black History Awareness Society information, stories and pedagogy.
- Hogans Alley Society anti-racist resources on behalf of Vancouver's erased historic black neighbourhood.
- Criterion Collection's free selection of streamable films that highlight Black lives and voices.